Is there a waiting period for SSDI SSD SSI disability benefits?
The following answer is from: https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3715/Is-there-a-waiting-period-for-Social-Security-disability-benefits
If you are eligible for Social Security disability benefits, there is a five-month waiting period before we can begin your benefits. We will pay your first benefit for the sixth full month after the date we find your disability began.
The following answer is Attorney Walter Hnot’s annotated response to the previous answer.
Also, these are the waiting periods that you can expect during your adjudications for SSI and SSDI:
- Initial Filing: 4-6 months
- Reconsideration: 4-6 months
- ALJ Hearing: 18-24 months
- Appeals Council: 12-24 months
- Federal District Court: 9-24 months
- Federal Circuit Court: 9-24 months
- Supreme Court: Let me know if you get certiorari and then we will talk.